Focused Analysis of Qualitative Interviews with MAXQDA
Step by Step
Introduction: Systematic and focused analysis of qualitative interviews (10-17)
1. Prepare, organize, and explore your data (18-36)
2. Develop categories for your analysis (37-53)
3. Code your interviews (“basic coding”) (54-63)
4. Develop your category system further and the second coding cycle (“fine coding”) (64-81)
5. Analysis options after coding (82-110)
6. Write the research report and document the analysis process (111-119)
Glossary of important MAXQDA terms (124-125)
Qualitative interviews are a very popular data collection method for which the topics of conversation are usually determined in advance and set down in an interview guide. The focused analysis method presented in this textbook provides detailed recommendations on how to analyze interview data in a systematic and methodically controlled manner. The practical procedure for focused interview analysis using the MAXQDA software package is described in six easy-to-follow steps.
Dr. Stefan Rädiker is a consultant and trainer for research methods and evaluation. He holds a degree in educational sciences and his research focuses on computer-assisted analysis of qualitative and mixed methods data (www.methoden-expertise.de).
Dr. Udo Kuckartz is a Professor Emeritus of Methods of Social Research in Education at the Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany. His research focuses on qualitative and quantitative methods, mixed methods, and visualization of social science research data.